Occupational training types for Training visa (subclass 407)
Nomination requirements for subclass 407 are different depending on the purpose or type of training you take part in.
There are 3 types of occupational training covered by this visa:
- Occupational training required for registration
- Occupational training to improve skills in an eligible occupation
- Occupational training for capacity building overseas
Occupational training required for registration
Workplace-based training is required to get occupational registration, membership or licensing. The registration, membership or licensing is mandatory to work in that occupation in Australia or your home country.
Occupational training to improve skills in an eligible occupation
Workplace-based structured training programs that:
- is specifically tailored and timed to the training needs of the nominated person
- is in relation to an occupation specified on the list of eligible skilled occupations
- involves a nominee who has recent and suitable prior experience. This can include employment experience or study experience that:
- is the equivalent of at least 12 months full-time experience in the occupation
- has occurred in the 24 months immediately before the nomination is lodged
Occupational training for capacity building overseas
Occupational training for capacity building overseas includes:
Structured workplace-based training in Australia for up to 6 months for students who:
- are currently enrolled in a foreign educational institution and
- must complete a period of practical training, research or observation to get their qualification
- The training must be specifically tailored to the training needs of the nominated person.
Structured workplace-based occupational training which has:
- the support of a government agency in Australia or
- the government in the home country of the nominated trainee
- Government agency support in Australia must be at the national or state/territory level.
- Government in the nominated person’s home country must be at the national, state/territory or provincial level.
The training must be specifically tailored and timed to the training needs of the nominated person
Professional development programs of face-to-face teaching in a classroom or similar environment in Australia. It is for overseas employers to send their managerial or professional employees.