Who should apply for 601 ETA Visa?

If you hold an ETA-eligible passport and you genuinely intend to visit Australia as a tourist or to engage in business visitor activity you can apply for this visa. The ETA visa is granted to be in effect for 12 months, or within the life of the passport, whichever is shorter. On this visa, you can travel to Australia, multiple times for up to 3 months at a time as long as the passport on which hit was granted remains valid.

ETA-eligible passport

  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong
  • Iceland
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Liechtenstein
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Republic of San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Spain
  • Switzerland
  • Sweden
  • Passports issued by the authorities of Taiwan
  • Passports issued by the authorities of Taiwan
  • United States of America
  • Vatican City


You can apply for this visa using the Australian ETA app or online.

You can’t include family members in your application. Each family member, including those listed on your passport, must submit a separate application.

If holding another substantive visa

You cannot apply for the ETA visa if you are on another more benefical visa (in terms of class, period of stay, validity for travel and/or conditions) just because you no longer want to remain on that visa. However, if you have different passport that does not have a visa that is of greater benefit than an ETA attached, you can use that passport to apply for the ETA 601 visa.

If you were holding another substantive visa on the passport which you were granted an ETA visa, and the substantive visa expires, then the ETA visa will also cease to be in effect.

And, if you have been granted an ETA visa but your substantive visa is still in effect, the ETA visa will be “Out of Effect” until the substantive visa ceases.

No repeated stay

This visa is not for repeated extended stays in Australia. If you are refused this visa, there is no pathway for review of the decision. If you need to stay for long periods in Australia for tourism or other non-work purposes, the Visitor visa (subclass 600) may be more suitable.

Processing Times

Immediately or within 12 hours.

Start to prepare your 600 Visa Application


Australian ETA app or online


Form 1163i Health requirement for temporary entry to Australia

Form 815 Health undertaking if you have a significant health condition such as Tuberculosis, HIV, Hepatitis B or C, Hansen’s Disease.

Proof of health insurance or Certificate of Prospective Currency


Form 80 Declaration

Military Discharge Papers

Police Check from Residence Abroad

AFP Police Certificate

IDENTITY – Applicant

ETA eligible passport

Certified copy of applicant Police Records in all countries of residence

Recent passport-size photo of applicant

Related posts